How to Register your Nickname
If you're not familiar with IRC-based chats, you may not be aware that some IRC networks, like GoodChatting.com, allow you to register your own nickname, which prevents other people from using it when you're not logged on.
The nickname registration process is painless and only takes a minute, so I encourage you all to do so. Some of the benefits include:
- Ability to prevent others from using your nickname
- Ability to recover your nickname if you're disconnected but your "ghost" is still online with your nick
- Once you have a registered nickname, you can register a channel with ChanServ or send/receive memos via MemoServ
1) Make sure you're using the nickname you would like to register.
2) Type: /msg nickserv register YOURPASSWORD YOUREMAIL
(Example: /msg nickserv register chattingiscool email@example.com)
3) That's it! Use: /msg nickserv help register for more information.
So what does this mean? It means you'll have to start identifying for using your nickname. When you log on, NickServ will complain and say:
-NickServ- This nick is owned by someone else. Please choose another.
-NickServ- (If this is your nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password.)
So, on connecting to the server, just type:
/msg NickServ IDENTIFY password
For example: /msg nickserv identify chattingiscool
- Say you've just been disconnected and you reconnect and your "ghost" is still there using your nickname. Just type: /msg NickServ GHOST nickname password
For example: /msg nickserv ghost juliebug chattingiscool
/msg NickServ Help will get you a whole bunch of commands. Just follow the syntax NickServ gives you to find out more. Also, you can mail me for help if you like. Just remove the "NOSPAM" from the email link.
site contents copyright © 2001-02, julie martin